Tuesday 19 April 2011

Cake Hyperbole


For the last two weeks I've been in Ireland staying in County Galway. It wasn't until almost the end of the holiday that I went into Galway itself - the point was to get away into the countryside rather than being in a city. The main thing that I wanted to do, other than see Galway was to go to Charlie Byrne's bookshop. I found three J.M. Barrie plays almost the minute that I arrived in their bargain section and then spent another hour wandering around the shop. I also found a lovely copy of Flesh and Blood by Michael Cunningham (one of my favourites) with no price in, upon checking it was way out of my price range very sadly. Still looking for a nice copy of it. It was gone midday when I finally left and I asked the staff working whether they could recommend anywhere nearby to eat. I got directed to Sweetie Pies. I still wish I had managed to find Flesh and Blood but the recommendation made up for the loss.



On walking into Sweetie Pies you are greeted with a massive array of cakes, cupcakes, muffins, bites, pies and pure joy. It's beautifully decorated and the staff - oh my, the staff are just so wonderful.



They do a great all day breakfast selection along with a very wide range of lunch and dinner options. Needless to say I followed by bacon, chicken and avocado ciabatta sandwich up with a cake.



Red velvet cake, which is one of my all time favourites. And it had edible glitter on the top. Heaven. And Doris Day was playing...this may have had more of an appeal to me than most but it just made my day even more complete.


I took a toffee muffin and a coffee & walnut cupcake home with me as well as the remnants of my red velvet cake (it was huge). I still can't decide which was my favourite but I think the muffin might just win.



If you are ever in Galway I would really recommend going there. Heck if you're in Ireland you should try it. No, wait, just book a plane ticket and make a holiday of it. Right now.



I've found my perfect cake shop. What to do with the rest of my life now?






Vick.
www.vclinde.co.uk 


Sweetie Pies is on Middle Street, Galway (was too excited to note the number) you can call them on 0872566887 or email at galwaysweetiepies@gmail.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment